Disclaimer and Copyright Notice



READ BEFORE YOU READ!

Firearms can be dangerous! Please follow all safety precautions when handling firearms.
You assume all risks of activities rising out of reading this blog! Do the projects at your risk. Author and all of his affiliates do not provide any warranty of its contents.

You may reproduce any content in this page, as long as you display the following: © 2011 Shooter's Quest http://shootersquest.blogspot.com

6/29/12

Liberty Training Rifle - Tech-Sights review

Guess what rifle this is?
Agh! Ammo is so expensive!  I wanted to hone my long range marksmanship skills on the cheap, so I bought a Ruger 10/22.  I got lucky because I found a vintage rifle manufactured in 1968 for pretty cheap.  Not that it matters that much, but 10/22 aficionados will pay a premium for an old one.  Reasons: metal trigger housing parts, better bluing, bluing on the inside of the receiver, tighter fit and finish.  Some say the barrels are more accurate as well.  Regardless, any 10/22 is a good purchase.  Also, my 10/22's trigger is crisper and smoother than any other factory stock 10/22 I've handled, but that may be just from 'break in' from the years of service this rifle has under its belt.

The 'Liberty Training Rifle' concept is from Appleseed shoots.  Apparently this setup optimizes the 10/22 for qualifying on the events: 10/22, aperture sights, GI sling, 5 magazines, aftermarket magazine release, and sometimes a tuned trigger.  The aftermarket magazine release is unecessary on the new 10/22s as the rifle now comes with a easier to manipulate magazine release from the factory.

I don't mind the original magazine release, and it doesn't get in the way when I'm shooting from the bench.  So I didn't bother with that.  Also, the trigger isn't limiting my accuracy yet, and like I said I very much like the trigger on this particular rifle, so I'll leave it alone.  I did everything else though; and the result:


I rather like the way it looks with the sights.  Installation was easy: drift out the factory front sight, drift in the tech-sight front sight, insert and loctite the screws.  After that, remove the rail mount screws on the rear of the receiver and use the supplied oversize screws to install the rear sight, again with loctite.  Done!

The Tech-Sights have been criticized in the past for its front sights: apparently the quality was lacking on them.  They have revised the front sights recently, and it shows.  The front sight post is better than the one on my AR-15!  Adjustments are identical to the M16A1's sights, with windage adjustment but no elevation adjustment on the rear sight.  The model I got, TSR-100, comes with two rear apertures.  One is marked 0-2 for short range, and the other is unmarked.  The unmarked aperture is a bit taller.  I am not sure which ranges the sights are meant to be zeroed but I'll figure that out in the future.  The apertures on both sights are the same size.

Did I tell you how happy I am with these sights?  With the factory sights, I had trouble finding a consistent sight picture and keeping my point of aim the same between strings.  With these guys, I don't even have to try that hard to get a good sight picture.  Just place the target at 6'o'clock hold (or however you have the sights zeroed), squeeze trigger, follow through.

The adjustment methods are identical to the M16A1's sights; that means you have to use a 5.56mm bullet tip or other sharp objects to move the sights.  Each click is 5/8 MOA, which means at 25 meters it is about 5/32 inches, or about 4 milimeters.    If you ave a very strong set of fingers you could probably manipulate the rear sights, but I recommend that you just get a A1 sight adjustment tool.

Tech-Sights had the GI sling and sight adjustment tool for a very competitive price, so I just ordered them from there.  The items shipped out the next day from South Carolina and I received the stuff 3 days later.

All in all I'm very happy!  The rifle is so fun to shoot now.  Oh, on a final note, I am getting approximately 0.5 inch groups with this rifle.  Plenty good enough for an Appleseed shoot.  I'll leave you with a few more detailed pictures of the tech-sights.
You can order the Tech-Sights here: Tech-SIGHTS, LLC



1 comment:

  1. Had a chance to use the tech-sights on a borrowed 10/22 at an Appleseed. You were right!

    ReplyDelete