Disclaimer and Copyright Notice



READ BEFORE YOU READ!

Firearms can be dangerous! Please follow all safety precautions when handling firearms.
You assume all risks of activities rising out of reading this blog! Do the projects at your risk. Author and all of his affiliates do not provide any warranty of its contents.

You may reproduce any content in this page, as long as you display the following: © 2011 Shooter's Quest http://shootersquest.blogspot.com

9/5/11

Super Ninja Match Report - CFPD 9/4/11

Relaxing works.  I learned a lot this match.  I did something no one else did.  What I've been practicing paid off.  Oh and it was really steamy humid.  That just about sums up the last event.

I got to meet Phyboy and Orlandodriver from shootersquest.net and floridaconcealedcarry.com.  Actually, I think I've met Orlandodriver but I didn't really talk to him in the last event.  Everyone is a hoot to be with.

I did very well my first 4 stages.  I slowed down as I'd told myself, and visualized a horizontal cardboard target inside the center of each target. The same cardboard I cut out of ammo boxes to practice at the range.  For the first 4 stages, most of my targets I had no points down.  Sweet!  This included shots fired at my first ever disappearing target, and swinging targets which I have no experience in.  On the swing targets, firing small number of well placed rounds worked better than a mag dump.  As long as I kept my eyes on the target area where I wanted the shots went, I hit.

The trouble came along when I hit the stage where all shots had to be fired while moving.  The targets were placed a bit further than I was used to as well.  I missed a whole target!  I really need to practice shooting while moving.  Fur this, I think having my own private range is the best, but short of that doing dry firing practice at home should help a lot.

Did I say it was really humid?  It was hot too, but there has been hotter days.  It really felt like being in a sauna.  I was sticky or dripping sweat all over.  I hate the feeling of being sweaty, unless I'm doing something very physical.  It was draining my concentration.  I started rushing things.  As I rushed things, my flinch/twitch came back and I started hitting low again.  Concentration is key!

I've learned some other things also.  I'm happy my anti-flinch bullseye shooting practice has been working out.  I will continue that until the bad habit is eliminated.  However, I need to stick to working on fundamentals; I think I can save a lot of time by properly visualizing the layout of the targets and sticking to a formulated gameplan.  I'll save time driving the gun and reloading.

Here is the video:


About the ninja stage: I felt a lot of people wasted time trying to find the right angle for this stage's last target.  After watching about 5 people do that, well, except for when I was watching Scouse because he hurt his knee and couldn't use low cover, I decided to stick to what I thought was the course designer's intent.  Since the cover in this case was a staircase, the only way to properly hide your profile was to go prone.  I could shoot the two targets from the wall, but I needed to scoot over for the last one.  The obvious way to do it was to crab-walk or duck-shuffle while squatting, overshooting a step, then moving into position to avoid a cover violation, and then firing.  My way of doing it was to hop down and to the right into a prone position as soon as I was done engaging the two targets.  Worked out better than I thought!

Things gone right:
-minimized flinch, increased accuracy
-NO PROCEDURALS! Wooooooo!  (I almost had one if not for scouse)
-Relaxed and slowed down

Things gone wrong:
-got tired, lost concentration (need heat training)
-moving and shooting
-wasting time from lack of visualizing the stage and sticking to the plan
-need to work on draw-to-fire times

Even though I'm unclassified, 2nd place feels good.  First time I actually placed well.

No comments:

Post a Comment